Bards' Guilde Job Descriptions
The Guildmistress/master is a voting member
and moderator of the Guilde Board with the following responsibilities:
- To remain up to date on current Guilde
issues and to stay suitably informed on said issues so that s/he can
cast an educated vote.
- To facilitate and ensure communication
- To resolve conflicts between any and all
members should resolution prove to be ineffective among the general
- Maintains Guilde information in
- To uphold the Bards' Guilde Mission
Statement with regards to all actions taken by the guild.
- To maintain the vision of artistic
freedom and interchange upon which the Guilde was founded.
The Assistant Guildmistress/Guildmaster is
a voting member of the Guilde Board with the responsibility to remain up
to date on current Guilde issues and to stay informed enough on said
issues that s/he can responsibly vote in regard to them.
S/he answers directly to the GM and the
Board and is responsible for Guilde activities as follows:
- S/he assists the GM whenever needed.
- S/he steps in when the GM is not
available or not able to (i.e. GM is sick or on vacation, or is unable
to stay in contact with the board for a large duration of time).
- S/he is responsible for coordinating
Guild-wide activities (i.e. weekly chats, special projects, etc).
- S/he is the liaison between the Theater
Directors and the Board/GM. S/he works with the Theater Directors
regarding policies and procedures, and keeps the Board updated on any
important developments in the individual theaters.
Any serious problems (dealing with policy/procedure/regulations) that
develop within individual Theaters will be brought to the attention of
the GM and the Board, for a group decision to be made concerning the
AGM will provide prompt answers/solutions to less serious problems in
the individual Theaters based upon policy/regulations.
If an immediate decision is ever needed for a serious problem in a
Theater, the AGM will provide a decision if no other Board members are
available for consultation. The AGM will then provide a full report to
the Guilde on the incident and solution, and will assist Board in any
follow-up that is needed.
- S/he will work to resolve conflicts
between any and all members should resolution prove to be ineffective at
Stage and Theatre levels, ONLY IF THE GM is involved (or if the members
feel that the GM is too involved) with the problem.
- Maintains individual member information
The Treasurer is a voting member of the
Guilde Board with the responsibility to remain up to date on current
Guilde issues and to stay informed enough on said issues that s/he can
responsibly vote in regards to them.
S/he answers directly to the GM and the Board and is responsible for all
matters pertaining to Guilde finances including:
- Collection of monies for Guilde Pins
and/or other Guilde merchandise
- Seeing that said merchandise is sent to
Guilde members and other buyers in a timely fashion
- Disbursement of funds from Guilde
accounts in response to Guilde incurred debts (ex: paying Kevin for the
- Researching untapped sources of income
for the Guilde, such as potential new Guilde merchandise
- Researching and summarizing the
costs/profit margins of potential fund raisers including seeking out
potential sources for raw materials, processing, and selling of said
materials (ex. pricing printers for songbooks, comparing silk screening
vendors for shirts/bags/other merchandise, etc.)
- Presenting such information to the
Board, along with any recommendations and the reasoning behind such
- Recording entries in, and the balancing
of Guilde ledgers
- Presenting quarterly financial
statements to the Board specifically and the Guilde as a whole.
- Responsible for maintenance of Guilde
bank accounts, including deposits, withdrawals, and balancing of said
accounts, in accordance to Guilde financial bylaws.
The Membership Director is a voting member
of the Guilde Board with the primary duty of accepting applications for
new Guilde members. Additional duties:
- Assigning a Guilde number
- Informing the applicant of the *Theatre*
area they are in, and who the Director for that area is
- Informing the *Theatre Manager* of the
new member(s) in their area to be added to the contact list for that
- Is responsible to attend meetings of the
board, as required by the GM / AGM to conduct Guilde business.
- Is responsible for ensuring the
webmaster/mistress is updated with new member information.
- Is responsible for keeping member
This position requires objective
impartiality when exercising the below functions:
- Formally presents issues, in voting
format, to the guild via The Bardic Realm e-mail group.
This is done after working closely with the Guildmaster and/or the Board
in determining precisely the vote is to be and/or to accomplish.
- Supervises the voting, establishing
parameters such as when the voting is opened and when it is closed, how
to change your vote (if applicable), and making final judgments in the
case of exceptions.
Reminds the guild members to vote, as needed.
- Clarifies the question being voted on if
there are questions, sometimes making the "executive decision",
sometimes referring to the Board or the Guildmaster for guidance,
depending on the caliber of the query.
- Calculates the final tally for each
vote, presenting these results to the Guildmaster and Board in detail,
and to the Guilde as a whole.
- Retains the questions being voted on and
the individual votes for the period of one year. After a year's time,
the Votemistress or Votemaster is responsible for maintaining a
permanent record of the question being voted on, and the final tally of
- Are the liaisons between the local
groups (called 'Theatres' for a designated geographical area) and the
- Organize, lead, and direct Guilde
activities within their Theatre. Also assists Stage Managers in
organizing, leading and directing Guilde activities within their
individual Stages or faires.
- May create sub-committees to direct
and/or initiate other activities such as local educational or
entertainment events, or may choose to take on this leadership position
- Call regular (by their own group's
definition) meetings, to allow for discussion and rehearsal of future
performance opportunities and social events. (These may be either
in person or via net discussion.)
- One of the contacts for visiting Bards,
keeping an current and updated file of activities occurring within their
Theatre, and advising new and visiting Bards regarding current issues
- May initiate group activities without
having to refer back to the Board for instruction or permission.
The SM is the "point" for a particular
faire, or group of faires.
Initially, geographic areas will be chosen by the Board, based on the
geographic distribution of faires and of the members of the Guilde.
- Report to the Theatre Director of a
- Contact as needed with local faire
- Contact with members of the Guilde
regarding such issues as requests from faire for performers or other
employees, permission to schedule Bardic events, and other specific
faire related topics.
- Contact with members regarding Guilde
activities such as social events, faire or period history related events
and similar events.
- Welcoming new members of the guild in
- Maintaining the Guild Code of Conduct.
- Being the first judges in any conflict
between local or locals and visitors, and are expected to judge
according to Guilde rules, or if they cannot, to excuse themselves in
favor of the next level up, one of the Theatre Directors.
Terms of Service
Positions that are deemed part of the
Guilde Board (Guildmistress/master, Assistant Guildmistress/master,
Treasurer, Membership Director) will have a term of service of two or more
years. At the end of the two year term, a vote will be held amongst
the general Guilde populace to determine if new leadership is needed or
desired. If so, nominations are accepted and elections occur.
Positions that are not deemed part of the
Guilde Board (Votemistress/master, Webmistress/master, Theatre Director,
Stage Manger) will have a term of service of at least one year.
Elections will be held at the request of the general Guilde populace, or
the person holding the position in question, at the end of the one year
term or at any time thereafter.